Your image alt-text here

Saturday, March 22, 2014

METAL DETECTING TIPS AND TRICKS: HUNTING IN TRASHY AREAS

Is there any place left that isn't filled with nails, bottle caps, pull tabs, and foil? If you're like me, it is impossible to find a permission or other detecting spot, that isn't riddled with trash targets. Here are a few things I have picked up along the way to help you see through the trash and dig up what others have left behind.

Ground Balance:

It is almost impossible to get a good ground balance in a trashy area. Even if your machine adjusts as often as the Whites MXT. It is a crucial part of having success, and to maintain proper target ID, depth, and pinpointing. I always bite the bullet and find a shallow target, trash or whatever, and dig a plug six inches wider then the coil. Then I make sure to clean all the debris out of the whole and plug before replacing it back. Then keeping the sensitivity at a lower level, I do my ground balance. I usually mark the area with a stick or something so I know where it is when I need to come back to it. It seems like a waste of time but in the end, it will save you a great deal of frustration.

Sensitivity setting:

Remember the higher your sensitivity is set, the larger your search area is. If you are set to high in a trashy area, you may be masking the better targets. I always start low, 60 on the Teknetics Omega 8000, with a DD coil. This gives me a tighter search area, and allows me to here, what I like to call, The Ghost Whispers. The Ghost Whisper is the noise you think you here, no wait you did here, that makes the hair on your neck stand on end. It isn't easily heard and takes time and practice to train your ear to it. It is a light scratchy sound, and if it is a repeatable sound, I am digging. The next two tips will help you identify The Ghost Whisper.

Swing Speed:

This is one of the hardest things to do in my opinion. A lot of detectorist are digging in whatever spare time they can get, and want to cover as much ground as possible in the precious little time they have to enjoy the hobby. In trashy areas though, working at even a normal pace will usually end your dig in disappointment and heartache. In order to hear the Whisper in these areas you have to take it slow and smooth. Finesse is the key, not to fast and not to slow. To fast will mask good targets and to slow will make your machine false. You have to find the best slow pace for your detector. It is hard to do and I know it is difficult to hang in those areas, but trust me, it will pay off.

Discrimination:

Discrimination in a trashy area can be a double edged digger. On one hand no one want to listen to the constant low tone of iron, it can drive a man mad. On the other, discrimination can and does cause false signals when working a slow paced swing. The edge of iron, or surface foil can cause the silver signal to repeat itself, and the excitement runs through your soul. I usually choose not to run discrimination, I think it is easier to hear the mid to high scratch of the whisper through the barge of low tones. I will say I can only do this for a short while before I am hypnotised by the dub step bass of the iron. If you do choose to use discrimination, set it just below the foil setting. Then once you hear that glorious Whisper, switch out of the discrimination to make sure what your hearing isn't one of the for mentioned pains.

Pattern your movement:

It is always best to work an area from all directions. This is especially true in trashy areas. If you get a good signal, be sure to take the time to check different angles. If you can hear it from a couple or all the angles, I say dig it. If it is lost to all the other angles but your original one, you might think of skipping it, this time.

These few reminders will, I hope benefit you in the future. Remember to swing slow, and listen close, you don't want to miss that beautiful Ghost Whisper. Thanks for reading, and as always HH.

KD

No comments:

Post a Comment