Your image alt-text here

Monday, February 3, 2014

TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 1ST HUNT

First I would like to say thank you to Josh and the guys at HighPlainsProspectors.com for giving me the opportunity to see what the Teknetics Omega 8000 will do here in Central Kansas. They are a great bunch of fellas and if you haven't checked out their website, I suggest you do. They have a great blog, monthly contest, with the best prizes I have seen, and the fairest prices on gear I have seen. You can click on the link up above to go, and tell them Kansas Digger sent Ya.

 The Teknetics Omega 8000 is quite different then my old MXT. Just the light weight design alone was a little intimidating, but when you start adding things like: 4 tone settings, 3 frequency settings, AT and discrimination, and Ground Grab,  I was more than a little worried this machine's technology may be more than I could process. I decided to just follow the guide lines set in the manual and hoped for the best. I did do some research about dealing with EMI and which of the four tone settings was best.

I decided to go to the old poor house, it was built in 1922 and has not only been the poor house but a private school, hospital, farm house, and finally the place my father lived while I was growing up. My father was a collector of all things junk, so there is a lot of trash in the five acre yard, but with no power running to it, no EMI to worry about.

I began with the sensitivity set on 70, in the all metal discrimination mode, the Ground Balance was 63, and I was in D4 tone. I had the 11" DD coil on, I thought it might be easier to start with since I use a DD coil primarily on my MXT.

 I started in the front yard, I had already found some good stuff there and know there is more. I was moving at a slow pace, swinging the coil as I would my MXT, and noticed everything was coming up quarter and dime. I checked my Ground Balance, it was fine, checked the mineral scale, it to was good, and I thought what the heck is going on. I decided to dig the next few targets that came up, this is what I got.


I thought about it a bit, then realized, as with all my other machines, I was running the Omega to hot, I decided to turn down the sensitivity to 65, after doing so I found these three clad and this Colorado Tax Token.



The temperature today was suppose to be in the 40's but I think it only made it to 36, the wind was blowing as usual here in Central Kansas, and my hands were getting frozen. I decided to head in for the day, happy with my results. I got home, ate lunch, and decided to check out the ol' internet. I started reading in the forums about EMI and its effects on the Omega 8000 and what to do about it. Well it wasn't long and I had my coat back on, this time with warmer gloves, and was heading out the back door. My yard is serious about its EMI, three crossing wires makes the Bermuda Triangle for anyone trying to detect it. I put on the stock coil and started off, immediately I knew I had to adjust, I changed to the 2nd frequency, and lowered my sensitivity to 60, it was still struggling so I lowered it more. In the back area of the yard, underneath the clothes line, I managed to pull a button, I believe from some Levi's or something. I then decided to try out the 5" coil. I have always wanted to try one of these shooter type coils and now, with no one there to laugh or sneer, I had my chance. I attached the 5" coil to the 8000 and began in the same settings I was in when I found the button. I wasn't sure how to even swing the darn thing, so I started slow, when that didn't work I added speed, and the little thing started to come alive, but the EMI was closing fast, I lowered the sensitivity down to 49, I thought well maybe there will be some clad shallow, at least I am getting some sounds out of the area. I was detecting around the big tree, listening to the bass of the iron, when I heard a mid range tone, I hit it again, and again, not believing it, I dug the target and five inches down was this 1934 Buffalo Nickel. I believe the Teknetics Omega 8000 is going to really impress me, when I figure out how to really use it. Thanks for reading. 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment